Presiding Officer and Deputy Presiding Officers
Alison Johnstone MSP is the elected Presiding Officer (PO) of the Scottish Parliament.
The PO is impartial in their role. Their responsibilities include:
- chairing meetings attended by all MSPs in the Debating Chamber
- selecting the questions asked at the weekly First Minister’s Question Time
- chairing Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body meetings
- chairing Parliamentary Bureau meetings
The PO also represents the Scottish Parliament at home and abroad.
For the latest updates from the PO, follow @POScotParl on Twitter.
Listen to a podcast recorded with the PO in June 2021:
The PO is supported by 2 deputy Presiding Officers (DPOs).
The DPOs have the same duties when acting in place of the PO but they also:
- continue to support their party (if they belong to a political party)
- take part in business, including speaking in debates and voting, unless chairing proceedings in the Chamber
The DPOs also support the PO to represent the Scottish Parliament at home and abroad.