Skip to main content

Language: English / Gàidhlig


Gabh pàirt

Organising a protest

We are an open and accessible Parliament, and we recognise the importance of peaceful protests and demonstrations at the Scottish Parliament. This page has information on:

The Scottish Parliament’s land is owned and managed by the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB). The SPCB has agreed a protest policy for anyone organising or attending a protest.

Planning a protest

If you are planning a protest at the Parliament, please contact us as soon as possible. We will work with you to make sure your protest protects the rights of everyone visiting, working, and living in and around the Parliament.

You can contact the Parliament’s Police Unit or Security Office.

  • Security Office: 0131 348 5583, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
  • Police: 0131 348 5126 or 0131 348 6567, Monday to Saturday, 9am to 6pm

When you contact us, we will ask for:

  • your name
  • your contact details
  • information about what the protest is about
  • plans for the protest (for example who might be speaking)
  • how many people you think will attend
  • how you are advertising the protest.

We will discuss arrangements you have made for the safety of people at the protest. We will explain the health and safety requirements we have for anyone using Parliament land.

We usually give permission to protest on Parliament land. If we cannot, we will explain why. If any aspect of your proposed protest causes us concern, we will discuss this with you and to try to find a solution.

Protest policy - what we expect from you and your protest

All protesters are required to comply with the Protests and demonstrations at the Parliament: Protest Policy.

You should make sure you and anyone attending the protest are aware of the requirements in the Protest Policy.  Depending on what your protest will involve (for example if you wish to bring equipment onto the land), you may need to comply with additional conditions.

Why we might refuse permission

The Parliament building, resources and land are owned and managed by the SPCB. The SPCB is strictly politically neutral, which means it does not give any advantage to any political party.

Because of this, protests on SPCB property must not be for or against a political party. However, you are welcome to protest about issues that are not party political.

If your protest is about an election or referendum and takes place in the restricted period before the vote, we may have to refuse permission. This is because certain restrictions apply during this time.

We may also refuse permission if your protest involves:

  • camping
  • an unreasonable duration which may impact on other people who want to use the land

If any aspect of your proposed protest causes us concern, we will discuss this with you and to try to find a solution.

Back to Gabh pàirt