What's it like working at the Scottish Parliament?
We have around 600 staff members who work in diverse areas, including:
- broadcasting and production
- supporting Chamber business
- supporting committees
- supporting the Presiding Officer, Chief Executive and Deputy Chief Executive
- managing participation and public engagement
- education and community outreach services
- managing services for visitors, events and exhibitions
- building management and security
- resilience and sustainability
- finance and MSP allowances, pay and pensions
- people services
- organisational culture and development
- information management and governance
- information technology
- international relations
- legal services
- external communications
- web and social media
- producing on the Official Report
- working in the Scottish Parliament Information Centre (SPICe) – research and enquiry service for Members and committees
Along with a competitive salary and the opportunity to develop your career with us, you’ll also have access to a number of benefits including:
- flexible working – we’ve got a great flexi-time system, so you can discuss working hours with your manager
- generous holiday allowance – 30 days annual leave plus 11.5 days for public holidays
- health and wellbeing schemes
- civil service pension
As a progressive employer we're committed to maintaining and looking for ways of improving the terms and conditions of staff.
Find out more about our employee benefits.
Our values of stewardship, respect, excellence and inclusion are included in everything we do.
Meet our people
Meet 8 of our staff members who share their experience of working at the Scottish Parliament.
Hear all about their day to day work, favourite memories and advice for new applicants by reading their stories.
If you want to meet more of our staff, you can search for #ParliamentPerson on Instagram or Twitter.
Working for an MSP
MSPs are employers in their own right, and are responsible for the recruitment of their own staff. They employ small teams of staff to support them in carrying out their parliamentary duties.
Typical roles include:
- administration and management
Jobs for MSP staff
Jobs can be based in Holyrood or in local constituency or regional offices across Scotland.
If you’re interested in working for an MSP, you can contact the individual MSP directly or find current vacancies on our Careers site.
Benefits for MSP staff
Some of the benefits which are common for all MSP staff are:
- generous holidays
- flexible working arrangements
- tax-free childcare vouchers
- training and development
You can find out more during the recruitment process.