Skip to main content

Language: English / Gàidhlig


Mu Phàrlamaid na h-Alba

Make a complaint

If you are dissatisfied with our staff or by a service provided by the Scottish Parliament, please let us know.

What can I complain about?

You can complain about things like:

  • our failure or refusal to provide a service
  • inadequate quality or standard of service
  • an unreasonable delay in providing a service
  • the conduct, treatment by or attitude of a member of staff or a contractor
  • our failure to properly apply law, procedure or guidance when delivering services
  • our failure to follow the appropriate administrative process
  • dissatisfaction with a Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) policy or its impact
  • disagreement with a decision taken by the SPCB (except where there is another procedure for challenging that decision).

Your complaint may involve more than one service or be about someone working on our behalf.

How do I complain?

When complaining, please tell us:

  • your full name and contact details
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what outcome you are seeking.

Getting help to make a complaint

If you’re unable or reluctant to make a complaint yourself, we can accept your complaint from a representative. This could be a friend, relative, advocate or adviser. If you want to do this, you must give your consent for that person to complain on your behalf.

Find out about advocates in your area by contacting the Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance

Find out about advisers in your area through Citizens Advice Scotland

How long do I have to make a complaint?

You should make your complaint within 6 months of:

  • the event you want to complain about, or
  • finding out that you have a reason to complain.

We may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that we should consider your complaint after the time limit, please tell us why.

We follow our Complaints Handling Procedure when dealing with your complaint. 

Back to Complaints